Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Building Bat + ActionOnPurge

2010-02-03 13:55:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Building Bat + ActionOnPurge
From: Alex Ehrlich <Alex.Ehrlich AT mail DOT ee>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 20:51:59 +0200
Hello,

By no means was I going to upset or blame anybody. I just wanted to
point out some weaknesses and shortcomings that currently exist and
maybe to warm up some discussion -- what would benefit Bacula and its
[even] wider adoption ;-). I see that the discussion has kind of
started, although -- what a pity -- at the level of "Thats not Bacula
community problem" and "Windows sux" (these quotes are not from Kern) :-(.

 >> Just some examples of documentation points that would be worth
improving:
 > Those are good points and would make good contributions.
Our company is currently working on some. But while I have set up 3
production sites with Bacula backup so far I still don't know *good*
answers for some of those questions -- and, consequently, cannot
contribute (some other have been documented by now and are on the way to
be added to howtos). Maybe I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed?
Possibly, but who is the intended audience then?

 > This is an Open Source project that counts on contributions from the
community.
 > All I can say is: what do you expect from a community project
I consider the project as having achieved very good results for an open
source one (and for commercial one, too, actually). It is a really good
backup system (after all, why would I implement it in production
otherwise?). But most things in our life could be even better than they are.

 > You apparently have not been reading what I have written about Bacula
Systems.
I have. However, I believed that even providing "support and
consultancy" would benefit from the list of potential issues that might
negatively affect deployments -- *for example*, in larger AD
environments; but this was just my opinion about mostly-windows-based
environments. There are other people around that could list "most
critical points" for some other tasks/environments; backing up Exchange
is a great example of resent task/environment-focused development.

 > "undocumented" /S option, which if it exists must be some NSIS
installer supported option
Yes it's a NSIS option (some say that it is case sensitive) and I tried
it and it worked for upgrade (not overwriting the existing
bacula-fd.conf, that was very nice of it).

Regards,

Alex Ehrlich