Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Changes to filesets not having any effect, possibly a bug?

2010-02-01 18:57:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Changes to filesets not having any effect, possibly a bug?
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 01:53:23 +0200
"Steve Polyack" <korvus AT comcast DOT net> kirjoitti viestissä
news:4B673ABA.10705 AT comcast DOT net...
> Hello all,
> I've made changes to a job's fileset, but it does not seem to have any
> effect.  By doing a SELECT in the bacula database, I'm able to see that
> files which are part of a path which I've added to an Exclude block are
> still being backed up.
>
> Heres the fileset for an example:
> Before:
> FileSet {
>  Name = Example
>  Include {
>   Options {
>    signature = MD5
>    compression = GZIP
>    RegexDir = ".*ports.*"
>    Exclude = YES
>   }
>   File = /etc/
>   File = /usr/local/etc/
>   File = /var/
>   File = /opt/jails/
>  }
> }
>
> I noticed there's a large amount of unnecessary data in /var/tmp that
> needs to be kept, but not backed up, so I updated the fileset to read
> (note the Exclude{} block at the bottom):
> FileSet {
>  Name = Example
>  Include {
>   Options {
>    signature = MD5
>    compression = GZIP
>    RegexDir = ".*ports.*"
>    Exclude = YES
>   }
>   File = /etc/
>   File = /usr/local/etc/
>   File = /var/
>   File = /opt/jails/
>  }
>  Exclude {
>   File = /var/tmp/
>  }
> }
>
> However, despite there being 10GB of files in /var/tmp, the backup size
> does not change.  A 'list files' or SELECT in the bacula DB still shows
> the directory and all of its files being backed up in the latest full
> backup (after a 'reload'):
> bacula=# SELECT count(*) from file JOIN filename ON (file.filenameid =
> filename.filenameid) JOIN path ON (file.pathid = path.pathid) where
> jobid = xxxxxx and path like '/var/tmp/%';
>  count
> -------
>   4705
> (1 row)
>
> I've also noticed that the "Example" fileset and its associated MD5 in
> the Bacula database do not get updated after a bconsole reload. The
> manual states "Any change to the list of the included files will cause
> Bacula to automatically create a new FileSet (defined by the name and an
> MD5 checksum of the Include/Exclude contents)".
>
> Has anyone ran into this before?  Is there something I'm missing that is
> preventing the fileset changes from taking effect?  FYI I'm using
> Bacula-3.0.3 on FreeBSD with a PostgreSQL 8.3 database.

Have you tried restarting the director, or only the reload command?

Yes, the reload should do it, AFAIK. But recently I got suspicious that at
least some changes in the compression option in the fileset wasn't reliably
followed until the director was restarted - reload wasn't enough. I didn't
have enough time to study that more deeply.

--
TiN