Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Deploying Bacula

2010-02-01 12:00:18
Subject: [Bacula-users] Deploying Bacula
From: Fred <fred AT nfrance DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 17:56:32 +0100
Hello dear Bacula (happy) users.

After some testings, I plan to deploy Bacula on my infrastructure. I'm
currently working for a web hosting enterprise so we have some... weird
configurations, mixing OS flavours and OS versions.

A little presentation of the infrastructure:

    - Server dedicated to us, let say, corporate servers. They are more
or less 30. They act like DNS servers, mail serversn NAS and so on.
Mainly FreeBSD servers.
    - Shared servers. The clients hosted on these have some
semi-dedicated servers, principally running on FreeBSD jails or old
Debian Etch vservers
    - Dedicated servers, the big part, between 250 and 300 servers,
running with FreeBSD from 6.2 to 8.

No windows :)

Now, the hard work. I want to have separate backups, with different
retention times for system and home. Our users have all their datas
located on /home. So I plan to have:

   - For system, Full backup every months, 6 months retention an
differential every week. The systems are quite stables and we can
restore one week old without many problems.
   - For home directories, Full backup every month, Diff every week,
and, of course, Incremental every day of the week.

So, my questions are:
    - How do I define my pools ?
I'm thinking about having 6 pools, one "system" and one "home" for each
kind of server (corporate, shared and dedicated).

    - How fast and powerful should be my director hosting the database ?
(PostgreSQL) (Actually, we backup 300-400 GB a day, mainly rsync of home
dirs, and we have near 600 servers to backup each day)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Fred.

PS: forgive my English, my French is really better ;)