Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] backing up to multiple hard drives

2009-12-14 14:10:41
Subject: [Bacula-users] backing up to multiple hard drives
From: Kendall Shaw <kshaw AT kendallshaw DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:30:03 -0800
Hi,

I have a 300GB hard drive that I backup to a 600GB hard drive, but the
initial full backup runs out of space (it takes almost twice as much
space to hold the backup?).

So, I'd like to allow the backup to span more than one hard drive. I
read something like a solution on this list, involving creating files
for bacula to use as volumes, with symbolic links to the hard drive
that the fiel should be stored on.

An additional detail is that I use a scheme were I do a full backup
once (ever) and then only incremental and differential after that,
reusing volumes each week.

I used to have:

Maximum Volumes = 8
Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
Volumes Use Duration = 6 days 59 minutes

Now, that it seems I can't have 1 volume per backup (because it runs
out of space), how do I calculate how many volumes I need? Or, how can
I backup to multiple hard drives, doing a full backup once ever and
only incremental/differential after that rotating every week?

Kendall