Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Bacula"TimeMachine"type SOHOconfig?

2009-12-08 05:18:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Bacula"TimeMachine"type SOHOconfig?
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:12:44 +0200
"Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net> kirjoitti viestissä
news:hfjoo9$ksn$1 AT ger.gmane DOT org...

> [...]
>>
>>> "Simon J Mudd" <sjmudd AT pobox DOT com> kirjoitti viestissä

>>> You said you don't want to worry about the details. However, one such
>>> very
>>> strong detail is the schedule you already have specified, it says to run
>>> full backup once a month. Required retention time is closely related to
>>> this, and needs to be specified too.
>>
>> Again, I think you're missing the point. You are right, in a business
>> environment you do want to decide to do X full backups every certain
>> period of time, X incrementals etc. and then you need to do some
>> calculations to work out how much disk space you need for this. This
>> value of course changes and you may later need to add more storage or
>> tapes or whatever to accommodate these changes.
>>
>> Think of the normal HOME user who may have an interest in Bacula to
>> backup data. He has a "unix" PC with disks occupying say 100GB of
>> space. So he buys himself a 1TB external USB disk and wants to use
>> that for backups. If it's dedicated he'll want to use ALL the space
>> for backups and keep as much as he can. So he's likely to want to do
>> perhaps a single weekly or monthly backup followed by incrementals in
>> between. Exactly how many backups he keeps is relatively unimportant.
>>
>> And for this type of scenario bacula is tricky (from what I can see)
>> to setup. I've had multiple problems (due to misconfiguration) of bacula
>> not labelling new disk devices in the pool and also when the disk starts
>> to fill up of not removing the oldest backups.
>>
>> I'm not a backup "administrator" and have plenty of other distractions
>> which prevent me properly working out how to get bacula running properly.
>> That's why I suggested a recipe for the type of configuration I suggest
>> might be extremely useful.
>>
>>> Since now you haven't specified the volume retention, Bacula uses its
>>> internal default which is one year, 365 days. You have to specify a
>>> shorter
>>> volume retention time if you want to be able to recycle the volumes
>>> sooner.
>>
>> But I dont' want retention to depend on time, but disk usage.
>>

> Bacula can use all disk space you allow it to use, that is controlled with
> volume size and maximum number of volumes, that you had set to reasonable
> values in the configuration. The volume retention time is just a minimum
> time limit; if your disk space will allow it, the old data in un-recycled
> volumes will still be available there after much longer time (in theory,
> forever). I think this is what you wanted, so I can't see any actual
> problem
> there. But if you absolutely don't want to change the default volume
> retention time to something that would fit to your application, there
> isn't

> much else to do, I think. Explicitly specifying the volume retention time
> is
> the only way to make Bacula recycle the volumes in less than a year, since

An update / a correction to the statement above: setting
Purge Oldest Volume = yes
in the pool specification will override any retention period to recycle a
volume when more space is needed. In general, it is a very dangerous option,
but I think it is exacly what you are looking for.

Still, I would vote for relying on the decently set volume retention, and
forgetting the above option.