Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Sun's incompetence

2009-12-01 11:56:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Sun's incompetence
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:39:14 -0500

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
>
>> As far as I am concerned Sun OpenSource software venture stinks.  I think
>> with
>> all the noise about Oracle buying them, and their blunders in implementation
>> of OpenSolaris, MySQL, and VirtualBox, they have little chance of surviving
>> in the Open Source software market.  Perhaps their high-end hardware
>> offerings will fare better.
>>

> To be fair, although the OpenSolaris venture was originally set up by
> Sun, it is not staffed nor operated by Sun (although Sun has input).  I
> use Sun Solaris 10 on my main server and I haven't had any problems with
> it, but I've heard many reports thaqt code from the OpenSolaris project
> is of ... shall we say, dubious stability.  OpenSolaris is widely
> considered not ready for production.

I've been a Solaris sysadmin for 10 years (been in IT and computers for
eons).

I've currently got around a dozen Sun Sparc servers of various
generations in operation, including the latest T2 based systems. The
older systems have all been upgraded to Solaris 9 some years back, and
the newer ones are all on Solaris 10. I make heavy use of open source
software. I use ZFS extensively, with rolling snapshots. I use
multipathing, live upgrade, and a few other things that are recent
developments. I haven't used OpenSolaris yet.

With that as background, I went to an OpenSolaris users group meeting a
while back. One of the presentations was on the development cycle and
the relationship between the open source code, OpenSolaris, and Solaris
10. Basically as the development goes along in the open source code,
releases of OpenSolaris are spun off fairly frequently. New features
appear there fairly quickly. On a less frequent interval, releases of
Solaris are spun off. New features don't go in there unless they have
gone through longer, more rigorous testing (6 months minimum as a rule).
Basically, OpenSolaris is for anyone who wants to use Solaris 10. You
get rapid release of interesting new features. In a serious production
environment, where stability is critical, you want Solaris 10. The
support cycle (from first release to eol with no support) for a Solaris
release is about 10 years. Solaris 11 will be appearing sometime in the
not too distant future. Solaris 9 is nearing eol.

The real focus of Solaris development, from my perspective, has been
targeted to server capabilities important to production environments.
Just as an example, when I brought online a 12 drive SAS array, it was
virtually plug and play with multihomed SAS. Then I used format to see
what I had for drive identifiers and then issued one zpool command to
set up a raidz2 (comparable to raid6) with one hot spare. After that, a
single zfs command can set up a zfs filesystem using that zpool. I can
continue setting up as many as I want. It's just way easier to manage
and to coordinate use of resources than anything I've ever had access to
before. Live upgrade is also easy to use and minimizes downtime for
patching and upgrading.

There is a forum on linuxquestions.org that deals with Solaris.
Obviously a lot less traffic than the rest of the forum, but there are a
couple of people there who are really in touch with OpenSolaris and the
desktop environment. They routinely answer questions about drivers and
such related to the desktop interface that I never have to deal with and
that would apply primarily to OpenSolaris.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator