Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Files/directories missing in backup

2009-11-02 15:13:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Files/directories missing in backup
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 20:06:35 GMT

> I have a backup job set up to back up among other things several
> Mercurial repositories.
>
> Yesterday, I accidentally overwrote one of the "hgrc" files, so I wanted
> to restore it from a backup, but then I discovered that the backup
> apparently contained none of the "hgrc" files from any of the
> repositories, even though the other content (most of it at least) of the
> directory was in the backup.
>
> When I decided to look into it a bit more today, I found that the new
> "hgrc" file I had created as a replacement for the one I accidentally
> overwrote had now been included in the nightly backup, even though no
> copies of the previous versions had been backed up. Also, a new
> repository that was created yesterday had its "hgrc" included in the
> backup as well. Every other repository created before yesterday were
> missing their "hgrc" files.
>
> On further examination, I also discovered that some repository
> directories were missing entirely from the backup, and attempting to
> restore one of the repositories reveals that lots of files are missing
> from within it as well.
>
> The directory structure is like this:
>
> /home/source/hg/repos/ - Contains all repositories  - some of these are
> included in the backup (except "hgrc") and some were missing entirely
> from the backup
>
> Bacula is currently configured to back up "/etc", "/var/lib/mysql" and
> "/home/source".
>
> A full backup was run initially, and incremental backups run nightly.
>
> The operating system is Ubuntu 9.04.
>
> What could be causing this problem?

The problem will occur if the files appear to be older than the date of the
full backup.  You can check for that by running /usr/bin/stat on one of the
missing files.

If that is the problem, then it could happened if you used mv to move an old
tree of files into the /home/source/hg/repos/ directory from somewhere else.
The solution is to either touch the files (I don't know if Mercurial will be
confused by that) or use the Accurate option in Bacula 3.0 to ensure that it
tracks these "old" new files.

__Martin