Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] losing directory permissions and ownership

2009-10-26 13:17:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] losing directory permissions and ownership
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:12:46 GMT

> Hi,
>
> I'm at my wits end here. I'd appreciate any feedback on this.
>
> I have the following directory
>
> /home/avrozen/temp/bacula-test/owned-by-root/owned-by-avrozen/owned-by-bacula/bacula-test
>
> with some files in it. I've specifically chowned the directories and
> files to different users and groups.
>
> The relevant director configuration is at the bottom of this message.
> Note the single File directive pointing to the directory above.
>
> When I restore the files all parent directories except for bacula-test
> lose their permissions and owner/group (all are set to 0751/drwxr-x--x
> root:root).
>
> I'd like to cherry pick directories to backup and have them restored
> with correct ownership and permissions...
>
> What am I doing wrong? Is this the expected behavior?

Yes, this is the expected behavior.

During a backup, Bacula looks inside the directories you give in the 'File ='
lines and doesn't save any information about the parents.

It is difficult to get the cherry picking behaviour, but I think it is
possible.  You need to start higher up the tree and use two Options clauses to
select the files to include and exclude.  The first Options clause must match
only what you want to back up (the parent directories themselves plus the
cherry picked files/directories, but not other contents of the parent
directories).  The second Options clause should use wild = "*" and Exclude=yes
to remove everything else.

__Martin