Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] SOT: When to update ...

2009-10-26 00:48:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] SOT: When to update ...
From: "Edward M. Markowski" <emm AT edmarkowski DOT com>
To: rperezm AT uci DOT cu
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:44:43 -0500
On 10/25/2009 09:34 PM, ReynierPM wrote:
> Hi every:
> I was watching Bacula since 1 year and I've very graceful with this tool
> and the community behind the software. I have Bacula 3.0.2 working in a
> production server. Now Bacula 3.0.3 is out with bugfixes. My question
> here is: when to update? I mean wich guidelines you (administers or
> people who work with Bacula) follow to upgrade your Bacula server.
> Cheers and thanks in advance

I have seen 3 schools of thought on this.......

1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If it is doing what you need and
doing it well, don't mess with it.

2. Upgrade every little patch.

3. upgrade if it has a patch you are waiting on or security fixes.

I tend to be either in the 1 or 3 camp, but it's really each
administrator's call within any greater policy of the organization they
are supporting.

As always, it is a bad idea to hold off upgrading for so long that you
end up being unsupportable.

Hope this helps
Ed M.