Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula wanted to create Volume, but it already exists. Trying again.

2009-10-22 03:29:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula wanted to create Volume, but it already exists. Trying again.
From: Cedric <logicloop AT gmail DOT com>
To: Serge Vostroknutov <sv AT mastersoft DOT ru>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 00:26:39 -0700
I'm not certain, but here's my guess:  In the pool definition for the Pull_Inc pool, you have Label Format = "IncVol-".  Although the manual does not explicitly say so, I think this is equivalent to "IncVol-${NumVols+}" which means the number Bacula automatically appends to the Label Format string is the number of volumes in your pool plus one.

Normally, this works fine, but what happens when you delete a volume?

Let's say you have 100 volumes in a pool, named IncVol-0001 through IncVol-0100.  Now delete five volumes; let's say IncVol-0051 through IncVol-0055.  Now you only have 95 volumes, so when it comes time to auto-label the next volume in the pool, Bacula tries to use the volume label as IncVol-0096, because 96 is the number of volumes in the pool plus one.  Oops.  There's the problem.  IncVol-0096 already exists, as does IncVol-0097, etc.  This is where your warning messages come from.

The only fix for this that occurs to me is to manually label new volumes with the same names as the ones you deleted.  So, in the example above, you would need to manually label five new (blank) volumes: IncVol-0051 through IncVol-0055.