Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tape Problems

2009-10-16 15:32:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tape Problems
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: João Kuchnier <joao.kuchnier AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:27:09 -0400
On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 3:10 PM, João Kuchnier <joao.kuchnier AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I having some problems with my backup planning.
>
> I want to work with five tapes per week. One for Monday, Tuesday,
> Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. This five tapes will be used till the
> end of the month.
>
> The problem is the following. The backup finished OK yesterday
> (Thursday). Later I changed the tape for one labeled Friday. However,
> when bacula started its jobs, it required the Thursday tape instead of
> using the new tape and did not finished the backup job.
>
> How can I make this work?

This is expected unless you take specific steps to force bacula use
the tapes you want.

The safest way to do this is make a pool for each day.

MondayPool
TuesdayPool

And then only put the Monday tape in the MondayPool

and then have your schedule backup jobs on Monday to the MondayPool ...

A hack to force Bacula to use the Friday tape today is to

update volume on the Thursday Tape and mark it Full or Used

Then purge the Friday tape.

John