Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Backup with Bacula on a samba share

2009-10-13 08:40:42
Subject: [Bacula-users] Backup with Bacula on a samba share
From: giggzounet <giggzounet AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:10:10 +0200
Hi all,

I'm a newbie in the "backup world". Unfortunately my boss would like
that I install a backup system for our labor. And I'm a little bit lost...

We have 5 pc running under linux opensuse 11.0 (bacula is available for
opensuse 11.0 : version 2.2.7). On each of these 5 PC we have a user and
each user has his /home/user on his computer (so we DON'T have a central
big file server with all the /home on it). We work in an university. The
computing center of our university give us a backup space of 10TB. But
the big problem is that this space is just available with samba (no ssh,
no NFS) : so each user has to mount the samba share with his login and
password.

So now questions :
- Is it possible with bacula to backup with our configuration ?
- Will Bacula have problem with the samba protocol ? I mean, will I lose
the symlink and others special caracteristics of ext3 ?
- Can I specify in the bacula configuration files the samba share, user
and password, so that bacula can mount this samba share ?
- I have read the documentation of your website : If I have understood,
on each of our 5 PCS we have to install the bacula-client part. But the
bacula server part can just run on my PC, isn't it ???

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Guillaume