Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 2 issues that driving me nuts

2009-10-05 13:32:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 2 issues that driving me nuts
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 13:26:40 -0400
> hey fellas,
>
> have been using bacula for over 4 years now, great neat powerful!
>
> i come across two issues with bacula, that i think can be taken care of
> on bacula level, which are not implemented yet (or i am not aware of them):
>
> 1. using a tape library, sometimes issue arise when bacula have loaded a
> tape from the slot, then, some idiot (generally help desk people) put a
> new tape into the same slot, where tape that in the drive used to be.
> This causing a problem, as bacula insisting on unloading the tape into
> the slot where it took it. Since it is already full, it fails and all
> jobs fail as a result. There should be a way for bacula to check if slot
> is taken, get the next available slot to unload tape.

I don't know for sure what happened with your instance, but in my instance
I never open the main door and only use the I/O slots.  In that case the
bug is not really in bacula but in the autochanger.  The best solution is a
procedural one--just 'release' each drive before using your autochanger's
"import" function.

> 2. having over 6 pools with 20-30dlt tapes, sometimes issue arise (there
> is no way to keep up with proper schedule as delivery people always
> fail): there are tapes (volumes) with status append in the pool
> available and they are in the tape library, however bacula seem to purge
> tape that has expiration date in the past, and insist on using that tape
> first, if that tape not in the library, bacula will wait for the tape it
> wants. I think bacula should look at the AL tapes that available in pool
> for current job, and if it is not in the library at the moment, move to
> the next available tape.
>
> does any one else ran into similar situation with large bacula
> implementation ?
>
> Thanks to all
> Kiryl

I believe I had this issue a long time ago.  If I remember correctly, it is
because bacula ignores the 'InChanger' field unless you tell it you're
using a changer in both the bacula-dir.conf and bacula-sd.conf files.  So
for me, the appropriate section of my bacula-dir.conf file is...
Storage {
    Name = Dell-PV136T
    Autochanger = yes
    Address = gyrus
    SDPort = 9103
    Device = Dell-PV136T
    Media Type = LTO-2
    Password = "snip-password-here"
    Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 12
}
Note the "Autochanger = yes" line above.

    Bob