Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Acsls Support

2009-10-01 03:26:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Acsls Support
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:23:33 +0200
Hello,

30.09.2009 22:03, Sak Mon wrote:
> Hi everybody:
>
> I have version 2.4.x and I see in documentation that bacula have acsls
> support

Can you tell me where exactly you found that information?

> ... but how?

Well, I don't know any ACSLS-capable device, or rather, I might work
with some of them, but don't use that feature.

> I think bacula needs an acsls client or something like this but i don't
> find anything.

> I see bacula is based on mtx project but i don't found anything about
> acsls in this project.

Well, stating that Bacula is based on mtx is a misleading statement...
you might also say that Bacula is based on echo, because it uses both
mtx and echo.

I guess that you only need ACSLS in cases where the library is set up
in a more complex way than strictly necessary for Bacula, perhaps if
it's shared among different backup applications.

Typically, I would suggest to just try to control your library with
mtx - if that works, nothing to worry about.

If you find that you have to use Sun's ACSLS management software,
you'll probably have to modify mtx-changer to control the library
through it. One way will be to use the web interface and more or less
exchange the mtx calls with some program to submit and receive data
from the web interface. If you want to use ACSLS more directly, you
find the quick reference manual for the software at
http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/ACSLS73QR/ACSLS73QR.pdf

But I strongly doubt that you'll need to use ACSLS at all - Sun claims
more than 4000 users worldwide, and that indicates that ACSLS is not
exactly required to use their libraries...

> We have an STK SL 8500 with LTO4 drives.

> Thanks a lot.

I hope this helps you moving forward,

Arno

PS: *Commercial offering warning* - ignore this if you don't like
advertisements on this mailing list!

If you need detailed help with this, I'd be glad to offer a support or
consulting contract - your question and my quick review of what ACSLS
does made me curious ;-)

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann