Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Daemon listening on two subnets, requires TLS

2009-09-30 09:24:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Daemon listening on two subnets, requires TLS
From: baculalist AT encambio DOT com
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:22:04 +0200
Hello Frank,

On mer., sept 30, 2009, Frank SWEETSER wrote:
> On 9/30/2009 7:38 AM, baculalist AT encambio DOT com wrote:
>> What is the proper way to go about listening on two subnets while
>> presenting the proper certificate to incoming TLS connections?
>
> There are two general solutions.
>
> The first is to set up split DNS views, such that all clients use the
> same hostname, and get directed to the correct IP address.

Yes, this was mentioned in 'Dealing_with_Firewalls.html'. Here's the
error:

  29-Sep 16:55 host-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: TLS negotiation failed with SD at
"host.name.tld:9103"
  29-Sep 16:55 host-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: bnet.c:307 TLS host certificate
verification failed. Host name "host.name.tld" did not match presented
certificate

It seems to me that by changing the client's /etc/hosts for
host.name.tld to a different address than what the storage daemon is
listening on, two things happen. First, the above error would not
appear. Second, the client would not be able to connect with the
storage daemon, which is not listening on the address in the
client's /etc/hosts.

> The second option is to create a list of alternate subject names in the
> certificate, so that all of the hostnames are considered valid for that
> cert.

This could be it. As long as we make our own certificates, then
putting multiple hostnames into the 'CN' field could solve the
problem. I didn't try that, because I didn't know that it was
possible to have more than one hostname in the 'CN' field.

Regards,
Eduard