Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Volume retention with Migration

2009-09-25 18:28:48
Subject: [Bacula-users] Volume retention with Migration
From: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:24:06 -0600
I've read through the docs and can't find a definitive answer to this. We back-up to a Data Domain box, then migrate the jobs after some period of time off to tape for archive. It seems that if all the jobs are migrated off a volume, but the volume is not past it's retention period then the volume is not recycled.

What I want to do is keep the backup on the Data Domain box for 30 days and then migrate it off to tape. I've set the volume retention for 45 days as our migration jobs have been taking a long time since it reads the whole volume for even KB of data. I don't want the volume to be recycled before all the jobs are migrated, but I want it recycled before the retention period if all the jobs are migrated. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University