Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Solution to building bacula 3.0.2 debs on Hardy (w/ -Wl, -Bsymbolic-functions)

2009-09-23 14:50:44
Subject: [Bacula-users] Solution to building bacula 3.0.2 debs on Hardy (w/ -Wl, -Bsymbolic-functions)
From: Chad Netzer <chad.netzer AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:45:52 -0700
I was able to find a fix for a problem I had running Bacula 3.0.2
binaries on Ubuntu Hardy Heron, built from ubuntu-fied source
packages, and thought I'd post the fix here for posterity.

I just started testing Bacula 3.0.2 after having used Bacula 2.4.4
(and previous) for quite a while on Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) platforms.  In
the past I've had good success adapting the various Ubuntu Debian
packages to run on Hardy (ie. for example, I've been able to build and
use the Intrepid and Jaunty packages on Hardy, building from source
using dpkg-buildpackage).  I build from source, because we use
encryption, and I needed to manually enable "--with-openssl".

When trying to build Bacula 3.0.2 packages with the contributed debs from here:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-bacula/+archive/ppa

I was having problems with the text console (I don't use the graphical
clients) not connecting to the director.  I previously had a working
setup, so I knew I should still mostly have a working config
(passwords, permissions, etc.)  I found that building directly from
the bacula source tarball (ie.: "./configure && make && make
install"), made the problem go away (although I wanted to use proper
packages for distributing internally).

In the end, it seems that Ubuntu default to using LDFLAGS=-Wl,
-Bsymbolic-functions" when building packages, and this seems to mess
up bconsole/bacula-dir socket connections.  I assume its related to
the new use of libtool; I haven't yet tested with statically built
executables.  Building from tarballs with the above LDFLAGS also
exhibits the problem, however.

In the end, I build the packages from source, but manually set LDFLAGS
to nothing (a single space, to avoid the Ubuntu default), ie:.

$ dpkg-source -x bacula_3.0.2-3ubuntu1.dsc
$ cd bacula-3.0.2
$ # Note the single space below for LDFLAGS
$ LDFLAGS=" " dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us

So far, these binaries seem to work (bconsole doesn't hang and timeout
when connecting to the director).  If I am able to investigate further
and find out a more definitive cause of the problem (gcc bug, library
error, etc.) I'll post back.  If anyone is interested, or thinks this
might be a problem with Bacula, I can post more detailed build and
configuration info.

-Chad Netzer