Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup with Bacula on a samba share

2009-09-17 10:55:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup with Bacula on a samba share
From: Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail DOT com>
To: giggzounet <giggzounet AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:50:42 -0500
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 6:47 AM, giggzounet <giggzounet AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a newbie in the "backup world". Unfortunately my boss would like
> that I install a backup system for our labor. And I'm a little bit lost...
>
> We have 5 pc running under linux opensuse 11.0 (bacula is available for
> opensuse 11.0 : version 2.2.7). On each of these 5 PC we have a user and
> each user has his /home/user on his computer (so we DON'T have a central
> big file server with all the /home on it). We work in an university. The
> computing center of our university give us a backup space of 10TB. But
> the big problem is that this space is just available with samba (no ssh,
> no NFS) : so each user has to mount the samba share with his login and
> password.
>
> So now questions :
> - Is it possible with bacula to backup with our configuration ?
> - Will Bacula have problem with the samba protocol ? I mean, will I lose
> the symlink and others special caracteristics of ext3 ?
> - Can I specify in the bacula configuration files the samba share, user
> and password, so that bacula can mount this samba share ?
> - I have read the documentation of your website : If I have understood,
> on each of our 5 PCS we have to install the bacula-client part. But the
> bacula server part can just run on my PC, isn't it ???

One solution could be:
1.  Setup one of the pc as a bacula server.
2. Mount the folder like /home/backup to your backup space using mount
-t cifs //someserver/backupspace /home/backup ....
3. Point your sd to save files in /home/backup/ folder.
4. Make mounting of that folder part of the boot.

I'm not sure what will happen but you can give it a try. I'm most
concerned about the bandwidth use and interruptions from the backup
space.
Give it a try. If the backup space server are up 24/7, and they don't
limit you on bandwidth then there should be no problems I think.

Let us know.

Thanks,
Lucas
http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/Bacula