Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Improving backup speed

2009-09-13 23:46:43
Subject: [Bacula-users] Improving backup speed
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale AT activenetwerx DOT com>
To: "'bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net'" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 03:41:59 +0000
I have several mixed clients all backing up to Linux and Solaris
SD's. The windows fileserver's are taking far too long, so in looking
at this, I noticed the cpu utilization on the Windows FD's isn't very
high but the SD are, why is that? Searching the forum showed compression
is done at the FD level.

I first changed the network buffer with zero impact.

I then made several backups turning off GZIP and SHA1 options in the fileset
for ~27gig of data.

GZIP and SHA1, speed averaged ~7800KB/s.
No GZIP or SHA1, speed went up to ~30000KB/s

Looking more closely at the FD, it appears to be single threaded and not
really utilize the cpu very aggressively either.

Is there anything that can be done here to help?

Thanks!
jlc