Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Hardware Crypto-Accelerators and Bacula

2009-09-09 10:56:51
Subject: [Bacula-users] Hardware Crypto-Accelerators and Bacula
From: Steve Polyack <korvus AT comcast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, "bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 10:52:12 -0400
I may have asked this question before, but has anyone had any luck with
getting Bacula to utilize a hardware crypto accelerator for FD
encryption?  Setting the engine(3) options in openssl.cnf do not appear
to have any affect.  This can be confirmed with statistic programs which
hook into the crypto drivers, showing that no data is being processed by
the accelerator during backups.

A few months ago I attempted a patch to add OpenSSL engine(3) selection
support to the Bacula source code.  This was unsuccessful, as merely
selecting and enabling the hardware crypto engine will cause Bacula to
crash upon updating the cipher context.  Based on various similar
examples I have coded, the best I can come up with is that this has
something to do with the IV generation / IVs that are being used.  Does
anyone have any ideas here?

This is a valuable feature to support.  When backing up large amounts of
data, I have witnessed almost a quadrupling of the job run time after
simply enabling FD encryption.  Rates drop from 15MB/sec to under
5MB/sec, making backups take way too long.  It is also easy to monitor
the massive load which they put upon the CPU.