Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] How do Jobs Queue?

2009-08-31 14:02:39
Subject: [Bacula-users] How do Jobs Queue?
From: teksupptom <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:59:29 -0400

Martin Simmons wrote:

> I think they are considered in the order that the Job definitions appear in
> the bacula-dir.conf.
>
> To guarantee the order, it is best to use different priorities.  I use
> priorities 1, 2, 3 etc for the backups and 201, 202, 203 etc for the
> corresponding verifies.
>
> __Martin

Hi Martin,

I wish it were that simple, unfortunately the testing I've done shows there is
more involved than just the order. My nightly Incrementals are set for the same
time, and they get scheduled in the order they appear in the file. Then the
different verify jobs are scheduled at the same time, but the verifies for one
job type get scheduled, then the verifies for the other job type. Also, the
first gets scheduled in one order (first client to last), while the other gets
scheduled in opposite (last client to first).

It's like Bacula scans the job list from top to bottom, then back up, and back
down, etc, until all jobs are queued for that day.

I like your suggestion about priorities, but the way I read the instructions
was that jobs of a lower priority would wait until all jobs of a higher
priority finish before starting. Since we have two tape drives, and use one of
them for our large filesets, there would be times where the first tape drive
would sit idle for a day or two while waiting for all the higher priority jobs
to complete.

Am I misunderstanding the way priority is implemented?

Thanks for your help!
Tom