Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole's prune command

2009-08-29 12:50:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole's prune command
From: Tobias Brink <tobias.brink AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 18:45:25 +0200
Hello.

It seems I forgot to mention that I tested this with Bacula 3.0.2 from
Debian unstable.

Tobias Brink <tobias.brink AT gmail DOT com> writes:

> I did a quick test in a virtual machine and discovered the following:
> issuing something like
>
>      prune jobs client=... yes
>
> in bconsole leaves always at least one full backup job (the newest) in
> the catalog, even if it could be pruned because it is much older than
> the retention period.
>
> I couldn't find anything in the documentation (have I overlooked it?).
> Is this observation correct and may I rely on this in future
> versions?

Well, further tests of mine showed that full backups are never pruned
at all by the console prune command.  Is there a way to prune all but
the latest full backup with the console?

BTW, I also tested this with Bacula 2.4.4 which showed the same
behaviour.

> Am I also correct in assuming that a finished differential backup job
> never prunes full backups from the catalog?

Further testing seems to support this assumption.  Am I correct?

The reason I need all this is because I want to do backups to disk but
have some space constraints.  My current plan is to do monthly full
backups and weekly differentials.  I want to keep 3 weeks of
differential backups at all time which means that there need to be 2
full backups around at all (most) times.  But as I only need 3 weeks
of differential backups I could prune the previous (2 month old) full
backup just before doing a new full backup which would mean the
volumes of the older full backup could be re-used.  I want to do this
with an admin job which uses the console but don't know which command
to use.

Thanks in advance,
Tobias