Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Make status messages digest

2009-08-28 07:31:12
Subject: [Bacula-users] Make status messages digest
From: Martin Bagge / brother <brother AT bsnet DOT se>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:25:09 +0200
Hi
I've done some minor searching for this issue so please bear with me.
(Pointers are good things though!)

We have a setup that runs five server backups every night and this
results in five status messages in our mailboxes every morning. We like
the reports and want to have the status from the jobs but one for each
server is not that necessary.
In the same spirit we do want a verbose report if something fails.

This must be a common thing for everyone running bacula, so I guess
someone have already built some batch processing of the status messages.
Or? I haven't found any.

My idea was to read "a list of jobs scheduled" and then replace the
standard mail generator at the end of the run with a collector that
saves the information until all jobs are done. The script would send the
FAIL messages instantly and record the status for OK and not send
anything until all are done (or some time threshold has passed since the
start of the daily run.

I've written some notes about my thoughts here:
http://trac.sis.bthstudent.se/wiki/Skunkworks/Bacula-digest

The main thing for me now (if there are no implementatations of this
already) would be to get a good way to read the scheduled job list to
avoid being forced to maintain a double list of jobs. And after that
build the replacement script.

--
brother
(brother- @ #bacula)