Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bsock.c:123 Could not connect to Storage daemon

2009-08-25 09:11:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bsock.c:123 Could not connect to Storage daemon
From: Graham Keeling <graham AT equiinet DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:15:29 +0100
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 05:47:20AM -0700, hm62 wrote:
> i've installed bacula and everything works fine one my local network.
> When i try to backup a remote server i've got this message :  bsock.c:123
> Could not connect to Storage daemon.
> Does bacula only do backup on a local network?

No, it can backup to anywhere. The different pieces need to be able to talk
to each other though. Maybe there is a firewall in the way.

The message that you are getting is either coming from the director or the
file daemon.
That is, either the director cannot contact the storage, or the file daemon
cannot connect to the storage. A simple test is to try telnetting from both
locations to the storage on whatever port you have it running on.
Actually, thinking about it a bit harder, it is probably the file daemon that
can't connect.

If your local network is NAT-ed, then the remote file daemon might not know
where to connect to - ie, it has been given a local address for the storage,
which makes no sense to it. You might need to give the file daemon your public
address and set up a portforward.
Another way is to set up a VPN between the two locations.