Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Simple bacula-fd test (e.g. telnet)?

2009-08-24 14:18:37
Subject: [Bacula-users] Simple bacula-fd test (e.g. telnet)?
From: Sean M Clark <smclark AT tamu DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:37:39 -0500
I just tried to update bacula-fd on one of our client macs which had
been working only minutes before.  Now network connections to bacula-fd
are failing except from localhost.  I tried re-installing the older 2.x
version that was previous on it, and now IT has the same symptoms.

There's a regular firewall rule allowing connection from our bacula
director, but attempts to connect time out.  If I telnet in from the
console on the client itself it does connect, but I have no way to tell
if the client is really responding or not (I tried sending "Hello
Director (director name) calling" but it just drops the connection
immediately with no message.  Since working clients do the same thing, I
assume this just isn't a valid message for bacula-fd.)

(I suspect "Symantec AutoProtect(tm)" has decided to interfere with the
connections, but I'm not sure - I'd like to confirm that bacula-fd is
itself responding correctly to network connections that it's allowed to
make.)

Is there any simple way to demonstrate the bacula-fd is actually working
(and therefore the problem is elsewhere in the network stack) by
connecting from localhost?