Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] filtering Bacula messages

2009-08-21 12:55:32
Subject: [Bacula-users] filtering Bacula messages
From: Olaf Zevenboom <olaf AT artefact DOT nl>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 18:50:00 +0200
Dear List,

I am in the process of trying to get a grip on the messages that Bacula
is emailing.
Obviously various strategies can be considered:
- reconfiguring the message stanza to limit the amount of mail (leading
to less insight in the backup-process imho)
- not using the bsmtp mailer as provided by Bacula and do some filtering
at the point of sending for instance using a commandline tool called
"mailagent"
- filtering at the MTA level (procmail, some Milter process etc).
- filtering at the IMAP level using Sieve scripts
- filtering at the mailclient
I would prefer a generic solution which does take into account that
there can be multiple sysadmins and tapeoperators.
Although not the perfect match for my needs, I am inclined to go for the
Sieve IMAP implementation (Cyrus IMAP in my case), now I need to
implement and do some testing, hence my question:

I found some docu on the subject:
http://bacula.org/manuals/en/developers/developers/Developing_Bacula.html#SECTION002817000000000000000
Yet I saw at least 16 different types of email from Bacula in my mailboxes.
Especially messages with header  subject "Bacula daemon message" can be
all kinds of messages.

My Questions:
- is there any documentation/sample configs on the subject of mailfiltering
- is there an easy way of testing mail messaging (auto generating all
different kinds of mails to see if my filters do catch them all
correctly). As I did not see a thing in manuals I was hoping there would
be a unittesting implementation for developers to generate testmessages?

Regards
Olaf