Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Seeking advice re: offline archives

2009-08-12 16:22:56
Subject: [Bacula-users] Seeking advice re: offline archives
From: Ian Levesque <ian AT crystal.harvard DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:17:19 -0400
Hi -

I'm curious about using Bacula in a slightly different way than it was
apparently intended. We have large directories of data that need to
periodically be moved offline to tape. I've got a Scalar 100 with two
LTO2 drives. I wouldn't be doing incremental/differential backups, or
scheduled backups in any way. At first, I was using a shell script
that wrapped around tar. Since my archives often need to span tapes
and sometimes many tapes, it was becoming very difficult to manage. I
think a solution like Bacula is *mostly* right for my needs, but my
question is whether anyone on list has an installation similar to mine
and can offer some management advice. How do you configure your jobs
and schedules when it's just a bunch of one-off archives?

Best,
Ian