Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula spec changes

2009-08-02 16:16:42
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula spec changes
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Scott Barninger <scott AT barninger DOT com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 22:13:19 +0200
Hello Scott,

I'd like to outline a bit of what I have done to the spec files, but first, I
would like to say that I believe that I have taken into consideration all the
points that you have raised to this point: the file is now simply bacula.spec
and I have split bat, mtx, and the docs out into separate specs, which mean
that the build for the main rpms is *much* faster.

For those who read this: I am making this changes after discussing it with
Scott not because there is anything wrong with the current spec, there are
just some changes that are necessitated to accomodate for differences with
way Bacula Systems will be packaging the Enterprise rpms.

In addition to creating four spec files:
bacula.spec
bacula-docs.spec
bacula-mtx.spec
bacula-bat.spec

I have made the following changes:
- the gconsole, wxconsole, and tray-monitor code are now gone
  If we need one of those we can always create another spec file
- the bacula.spec file is considerably simpler because:
  - gconsole, mtx, bat, docs, wxconsole, and the tray monitor
    are removed
  - I have remove almost all the library version dependences. The idea
    is that we should rely on the OS packagers to ensure that the correct
    libraries are loaded.
  - I have made a few shortcut defines that reduce the length of some of the
    %if statements.
- I have corrected a few of the places where passwords were edited in.  They
  were misedited in at least one place causing password failures.
- I added new post processing code that uses the name of the machine
  on which the package is installed.  This is used to make the daemon names
  correspond to the installed machine name rather than the build machine
  name.
- The bat build now builds with Qt 4.3.2 rather than what is installed on the
  build machine. This should result in a much stabler bat.
- I install all the man pages with the base package, which is what I think is
  the correct thing to do, even though the user may not install all the
  components -- at least he can know what exists.
- I have certainly screwed up some of the older builds by the changes in the
  %ifs.
- I haven't yet had time to actually test the binaries to see if they install
  and run correctly.
- There are a number of additional changes that I need to integrate from
  the Enterprise .spec, which corrects a good number of permission problems
  when running the Dir and SD as bacula rather than root.
- I seems to me that there was a version of bconsole in /usr/bin.  I deleted
  that code. It is now installed into /usr/sbin.  If someone also wants it
  in /usr/bin, we can add a hardlink.

There are probably a number of other points that I have forgotten about, but
you will get the idea -- the problem is that I spent a week on this, and it
is hard to remember everything I did -- some of the builds required 2 hours,
so fixing a series of little errors takes many days.

You can get the current code from the Source Forge git directory.  I've put
everything into platforms/redhat, and left the suse,... as they were for the
moment.

Ideally, you (Scott) will embrace these spec files, build from them, and fix
the remaining problems that are sure to exist.

Best regards,

Kern