Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Remote Director

2009-08-02 09:11:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Remote Director
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "James Chamberlain" <jamesc AT exa DOT com>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 23:07:39 +1000
> Hi Bacula Users,
>
> Does anyone have experience setting up Storage Daemons at different
> sites from the Director?  I'm thinking that it would be really nice to
> have a central console where I can see and control the backups of
> other sites, but I don't have the bandwidth to send all the data to
> the central location.  If I have a backup device and Storage Daemon
> local to the clients I want to back up, I think their FDs will send
> the data straight to their local SD, with the traffic to the Director
> being minimal by comparison.  As near as I can tell from the diagram
> at the end of the following page, what I want to do should be
possible:

It's certainly possible, and I have done it before, but due to bandwidth
requirements between the SD/FD and the director I just created another
director at the remote site instead.

The problem was that the attribute bandwidth requirements were too high
and congested the link (link bandwidth was only 512kbps). Attributes go
from the SD/FD (I forget which - SD I think) to the catalogue, via the
director, so even having the catalogue at the remote site wouldn't help.
The link was also not entirely reliable at the time, so I would get the
occasional backup failing because of a comms error.

So I now run a director at each site. It's slightly less convenient but
at least it works.

James