Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] LTO-4 transfer rates

2009-07-09 08:56:43
Subject: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 transfer rates
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:28:29 +0200
Hi,

in the past there was some discussion about what transfer rates can be reached
with bacula and modern LTO-4 drives.

I've spend some time in tuning my setup.

After changing the setup I can reach up to 130 MB/s with spooling from a 2 disk
RAID0 and a few changes in my bacula-sd.conf. IIRC chainging 'Maximum File
Size' gave me additional 20-30 MB/s. Each of the 3 LTO-4 drives has now its own
2 disk RAID0 for spooling. Only one job is writing to a tape at the same time.

Our data is already compressed, 800-1000 GB fit on one tape. So the max.
transfer rate of 100-130 MB/s is near the native LTO-4 speed.

This is just to show that higher transfer rates can be reached with bacula. In

Device {
  Name = ULTRIUM-TD4-D1
  Drive Index = 0
  Media Type = LTO4
  Archive Device = /dev/ULTRIUM-TD4-D1
  AutomaticMount = yes;
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  AutoChanger = yes
  Maximum File Size = 5G
  Maximum Spool Size = 370g
  Maximum Job Spool Size = 20g
  Maximum Block Size = 262144
  Maximum Network Buffer Size = 262144
  Spool Directory = /bacula-spool-1
#  # Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
#  # Note, apparently on some systems, tapeinfo resets the SCSI controller
#  #  thus if you turn this on, make sure it does not reset your SCSI
#  #  controller.  I have never had any problems, and smartctl does
#  #  not seem to cause such problems.
#  #
#  Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
#  If you have smartctl, enable this, it has more info than tapeinfo
  Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -d scsi -H -l error %c'"
}

Ralf