Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] More about concurrent jobs...

2009-06-26 09:31:44
Subject: [Bacula-users] More about concurrent jobs...
From: "Jose E. Molina" <jmolina AT brujula DOT es>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:23:52 +0200
There's been an interesting thread about the limitations of the
storage/device model in Bacula, and i think i'm hitting one of those
limitations, or maybe a configuration error:

I have 1 Storage daemon with 1 File device, 1 autochanger with 1 Tape
device.

I want to make concurrent backups to the file device, but not on the
tape. I've configured the director as follows:

( Director & Storage daemon has general  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10 )

# Definition of file storage device
Storage {
   Name = File
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 3
   Address = 1.2.3.4
   SDPort = 9103
   Password = "xxxx"
   Device = FileStorage
   Media Type = File
}

# C4, Drive LTO3
Storage {
   Name = StorageTekC4
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
   Address = 1.2.3.4
   SDPort = 9103
   Password = "xxxx"
   Device = StorageTekC4
   Media Type = LTO3
   Autochanger = yes
}

Notice both devices point to the same host, and i think this is one of
the limitations, you don't define a storage daemon host, and hang
devices from there, and thus you cannot define Max Concurrent for the
whole (in this case 4 jobs, 1 to tape, 3 to disk)

The fun thing is this works halfway. When bacula is using the tape, all
other jobs wait in the queue, even when those are for the file device.
But when a File Job starts, the rest are done concurrently (at least the
file ones)

Am i doing anything wrong? I guess i could easily overcome this by
starting 2 storage daemons on the same machine and letting one handle
the file and the other the tape...

But i'm wondering, does this happen when you have 2 autochangers?
Does bacula understand that 2 Jobs are not Concurrent if they're not
targetting the same device? And if they're not targeting the same
storage daemon?

Cheers,
--
José E. Molina