Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: concurrent backups to one volume?

2009-06-25 19:13:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: concurrent backups to one volume?
From: terryc <terryc AT woa.com DOT au>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:07:58 +1000
Silver Salonen wrote:
>  Eg. if we want to do ordinary Grandfather-Father-Son rotation, we
> create 3 different pools for every job - for full, differential and
> incremental backups.

That is not how I understand GFS system, although it is a possibility. I
understand it as Full, plus (incremental OR differential).

So important clients (like secretary's machine) receive a full backup
each week and a differential (all changed files since full backup)
nightly so that in the need for recovery, it would just be a process
involving two tape/disk(?) for a full recovery.

OTOH, I might do a differential (all changed files since last backup,
full or diff or inc) on something on something with humungous amount of
file changes and non-core/non-critical files to simply keep the backup
window small. The trade off is that every tape/disk since the full
backup would need to be processed for a full client recovery.

GFS comes from having multiple complete BACKUPS, i.e. dated versions.
This makes it a real backup system.

> Using only one pool with the whole backup-disk doesn't make sense to me,
> because managing these backups would be extremely limited, wouldn't it?

If you want to run your backups like that, then use a raid array. You
only have a point in the rare occassions where you have small backups
and monstrous drives. The critical point about a real backup system is
that it is not just a file copy, but a secure,protected file copy that
can not be degraded. Writing a whole serious of jobss to one drive that
sits in the system full time is not a proper backup system.