Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Job vs volume retention periods

2009-06-24 22:32:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Job vs volume retention periods
From: Dirk Bartley <bartleyd2 AT chartermi DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:27:56 -0400

> Thanks for the help provided so far, it's very much appreciated.   I do have
> a few follow-up questions:
>

> In a case where the client's storage pool

Pools don't belong to a client unless you set up the directors schedules
that way and don't run any manually to the pool.

>  would of reached it's maximum volume limit (I use this combined with maximum
> volume bytes to control the size of their allocated storage pools) and
> recycle oldest volume would be equal to yes... If all the jobs have already
> passed their retention period, bacula would recycle the oldest volume

if recycle oldest is set yes.  If you also set purge oldest, then it
will purge the jobs as well

>  regardless of the volume retention period,

recycle oldest respects retention of files and jobs.

> is this correct (on what date is this based btw, the date of the last written
> job?)

I think first written, not totally sure

>   And that, as long as the volume wasn't recycled/overwritten, there's always
> possibility to use bscan, re-write the catalogue and restore file-by-file?
> In a case where the file records have expired but not the job records, can I
> simply decide to restore an entire jobid instead of using bscan?

yes, restoring the entire job is always an option if the job record
exists with purged files.

>   How about when a volume is purged?

If the volume is purged, then there will be no knowledge of the job or
where it is on the tape, so bscan would be required.

>   My understanding is, files can still be recovered, however in this case I'm
> presuming using bscan isn't optional?

bscan required is my understanding.

Dirk

> I think this should be the last of my question :)

Bacula is pretty flexible.  I had to read the pool directives, try some
stuff for a bit, then read it again to fully appreciate what it took to
get the results I wanted.  Heck, I'm still not sure if I'm quite there
yet.