Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bug or misuse, file are not save ?

2009-04-17 15:14:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bug or misuse, file are not save ?
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: "bacula-users (anglais)" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:08:29 +0200
Hi,

17.04.2009 14:48, Mike Ruskai wrote:
> On 04/17/2009 08:27, Olivier Delestre wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> A bug in bacula or misuse, I do not know.
>> Let me explain.
>>
>> I have a folder 1 that is saved. I have a folder 2 that is not.
>> The directories are on the same partition.
>>
>> Execution of a total folder 1 saved in whole
>> Moving a file to the folder 2 to folder 1.
>> Execution of an incremental, folder 1 is saved without the moving file
>> which is in the folder 1.
>>
>> Bacula uses the ctime, mtime only?

Yes. This is also described in the manual.

>> Is it not a problem of bacula or a misuse or (option)?

It's the design (and not that of Bacula only, by the way).

>> I do not know if this comment v3.0.0 rule. And this is only valid for
>> Windows clients ... easy to reproduce and if you have an explain ?
>>

> http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Current_State_Bacula.html#SECTION00530000000000000000
>
> Note the third bullet point.  Apparently it still hasn't been addressed
> in v3.0.0.

Accurate backups work fine in 3.0 (or, here, in 2.5.42).

> It seems easy enough to check whether a file has been backed up, but
> with file records having a separate retention time, it could be possible
> for an incremental backup to have no file records to check - just a
> timestamp of the last backup.

If a file is not in the catalog it is considered new. Thus, very short
file retention times together with accurate backups probably might
lead to bigger backups than necessary, but that's better than not
backing up certain files.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann