Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] preparing backups ahead of time

2009-04-11 17:35:14
Subject: [Bacula-users] preparing backups ahead of time
From: Andreas Schuldei <schuldei+bacula-users AT spotify DOT com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 23:29:53 +0200
hi!

Currently our bacula system cycles through our servers and for each it
initiates the respective backup shell script, waits for its
completion, transfers the data and continues on to the next box.

This cycle is rather predictable and repetitiv. On some servers, where
time consuming finds and tars are executed the system spends a lot of
time waiting on the completion of those, until it can start
transferring the resulting tar files.

I would like to speed up the process by preparing these backups ahead
of time, so that they finish just in time for the bacula director to
come by and pick up the new tar files, so that only little or no time
would be spend waiting. Ideally i would like it to be adaptive. the
longer it takes to prepare the backup the earlier it would start to
prepare it. if for some reason the datavolumes shrinks and the
preparation would take less time, gradually move the start backwards.
Should the preparation of the backup not have started when the bacula
director comes by the backup is made the old fashioned way with the
director waiting for completion.

Has someone build a system like this?