Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Retention periods

2009-04-03 02:50:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Retention periods
From: Ronald Buder <rbuder AT proficom-ag DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 08:44:03 +0200
Am Thursday 02 April 2009 22:13:41 schrieb John Drescher:
> > File Retention = 30 days
> > Job Retention = 6 months
> > Volume Retention = 1 year
>
> Fine. After 30 days you will either only be able to do a full restore
> or have to use bscan before restoring.

Correct.

> > Then am I correct in thinking that when I back up my catalog, I should
> > only keep it for 6 months?
>
> Most likely a lot shorter than that. The point is you want to do a
> catalog backup daily to protect you from database corruption or loss.
> I am sure you will spot a problem before 6 months elapses. The longest
> I have gone back was 1 week.

That's weird. And I thought I had serious database issues! :) Of course I am
running a daily db-backup, wouldn't want to live without it, but other than
for a backup gone wrong I had never had to recover the bacula database in the
last year and a half.

Actually Ian should be able to happily restore jobs even after 11 months and
some 30 days, because of his volume retention. If he actually has that many
volumes to cycle through before having to recycle (and the volumes don't turn
bad due to heavy sun or heat exposure or such a thing) he should still be
able to run a bscan or even restore directly using a bootstrap file. No
database involved here as far as I can tell.

> >My thinking being that the catalog itself contains 6
> > months of Job records and is 6 months old, so keeping it for any longer
> > is meaningless.
> >
> > Also, is it bad practice to store the catalog backups along with the
> > filesystem backups themselves?

Same disks here, same tapes, same library. Seriously, if that SL500 downstairs
explodes or something I will really have more serious problems than the
catalog. As long as all the tapes are intact, I could probably lock myself in
for a week and restore the catalog almost completely.

> I put that on a different server / array than the database.

I used to run the catalog backups onto our bacula test environment. It's not
fast, but it sure is somewhat "off-site" :)

> John

Ronald

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ronald Buder

Tel.: +49(351)440080
Fax: +49(351)4400818
Mobil: +49(179)3218366
Email: rbuder AT proficom-ag DOT de
web: www.proficom-ag.de

profi.com AG business solutions
Firmensitz: Stresemannplatz 3, 01309 Dresden
Büro Berlin: Potsdamer Platz 11, 10785 Berlin

Amtsgericht Dresden, HRB 23438
Vorstand: Heiko Worm, Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Friedrich Geise