Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem recycling a volume

2009-03-18 11:13:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem recycling a volume
From: "(private) HKS" <hks.private AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:05:45 -0400
On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM, cpreston
<bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

> [I'm resending this original poster's question because the connection between
> bacula-users and the forum was down for a time.  There will be three more
> like this.
>
> quote="Mallet"]I am using bacula to backup about 10 servers files. I have
> limited disk space on the backup server, about 100GB.
>
> I am trying to recycle the pool every 20 days. However it isn't overwriting
> old data after the 20 days. What am I doing wrong here? Below is my pool
> definition:
>
> Pool {
>  Name = Default
>  Pool Type = Backup
>  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
> Volumes
>  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
>  Volume Retention = 20 days         # every 20 days
>  }[/quote]
>

>>From the manual:
"Recycling will not occur until it is absolutely necessary to free up
a volume (i.e. no other writable volume exists)."

I infer from your disk space limitations that you're backing up to
hard disk, but there's nothing in this config to tell Bacula when it
should change volumes. No job limit, space limit, time limit, etc. So
I'm guessing that Bacula is writing all your jobs to a single volume,
which is always appendable because you haven't limited it otherwise.

If this is all true, take a look at the "Automated Disk Backup"
section of the manual. It has a perfect example of how to do this
right. If this is all inaccurate, reply with more details (including
your full config files).

-HKS