Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Lost another label

2009-03-11 13:27:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Lost another label
From: Mark Nienberg <gmane AT tippingmar DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:15:43 -0700
Brian Debelius wrote:
> I have mtx-changer modified for the wait_for_drive to time out after 25
> minutes.  And, yes sometimes it does take a long time to load a tape.
> I'll have to ping Mark Nienberg and see if hes discovered anything since
> he last reported it.  Although in his case, a second mount was successful.

A second mount almost always works for me. But I have seen the second mount
fail and
then a third mount work.  So if your problem is the same as mine, then the
issue is
not that the tape loses its label, it is that the drive doesn't successfully
load the
tape sometimes.

I have modified the mtx-changer script so it loads a tape and then tries to
read the
label with btape.  If it fails, then it unloads and reloads and tries again.
If it
fails again, then a third attempt is made before giving up.  In theory, this
reduces
a 20% failure rate to .20 x .20 x .20 = .008 or 99.2% success.

The 20% failure rate is a guess.  I haven't actually counted my successes and
failures, but if anything I suspect it fails even more often than 20%.

--
Mark Nienberg
Sent from an invalid address. Please reply to the group.