Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] FreeBSD Bare Metal Recovery

2009-03-10 14:17:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] FreeBSD Bare Metal Recovery
From: Doug Sampson <dougs AT dawnsign DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:03:41 -0700
> > > What then? Was this because of the failed 'make path' command?
> >

> > It's 'make patch' but adding the proper CONFIGURE_ARGS environment
> > variable as Dan stated would be the best way to go. Example for
> > csh/tcsh:
> >
> > cd /usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-client
> > env CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--enable-static-fd make
> >
> > Or make the option persistent by adding into /etc/make.conf
> > the following lines:
> >
> > .if $(.CURDIR:M*/sysutils/bacula-client) || \
> >     $(.CURDIR:M*/sysutils/bacula-client)
> > CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--enable-static-fd
> > .endif
>
> I put these lines into the /etc/make.conf file for all of my
> bacula clients
> and I now have static-bacula-fd on src/filed. Next, I'm going
> to see if I
> can run that file as a daemon for a full bare metal restore.

I was able to do a complete full bare metal restore of a FreeBSD client
using the following list of instructions obtained from the Bacula web site
modified for my own particular situation. I believe it is applicable to most
FreeBSD users. I've put it in the Bacula wiki:

http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=freebsd_bare_metal_recovery_-_client

One thing I learned from this is to create a static-bacula-fd in advance and
to take steps in advance to prepare for a disaster. Notes for preparing in
advance are also in the Bacula wiki:

http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=freebsd_disaster_preparedness_planning

Feel free to include in Bacula documentation, etc. Thanks to those who
helped- you know who you are!

~Doug