Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] mark a directory to be excluded from backup

2009-03-04 09:17:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] mark a directory to be excluded from backup
From: Thomas Manson <dev.mansonthomas AT gmail DOT com>
To: Thomas <thomas AT ic3s DOT de>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 15:14:46 +0100
Hi Thomas,

 Thanks for the tip,
  even If I need to update the director conf file each time I add a website, it's easy enough to be usable.

Thanks again,
Thomas.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 14:45, Thomas <thomas AT ic3s DOT de> wrote:

Thomas Manson schrieb:
> Hi,
>
>   I wonder if it is possible to mark a directory to be exclude from the
> backup by another mean that the bacula-dir.conf.
>
>   Here we have a centralized configuration for what is to be backup,
> while I think a distributed configuration would be more efficient and
> easy to handle (Ok, not in every case, but in my case I don't get why
> the director should know every thing about it's clients file system)
>
>   For example, if a directory would contain an empty file
> .bacula_exclude_dir own by a specific user, the file daemon would not
> backup this dir even if inside a directory mention with a File=

this can be easily done by something like:

find /home/thomas/test/ -name .exclude | sed 's/.exclude//' > /home/thomas/test/excludelist

and then specify

 Exclude       {
 File = "\\</home/thomas/test/excludelist"
               }

in the Fileset.
you can configure the includelist in the same way on the client.

>   Or a file like the robot.txt that one left for search engines so they
> know what to index and what not.
>   If the filedaemon find a file like .bacula_directives, it would follow
> that list of directives for all subdir of the current dir.
>
>   Or even a configuration file for the file daemon. It's easier to
> modifiy (with scripts) a conf file on the client, that to automatically
> update the director conf file from the client (quite impossible in fact).
>
>   Ok, it's a bit intrusive, but as far as I know bacula, if the only way
> to exclude a directory is to write some complex config in
> bacula-dir.conf, it's very cumbersome !
>
>   In my case, on the machine I add very often new websites, each one
> with specific structure with some files to be backup some not.
>
>   this would lead to huge config file or huge amount of data backuped
> for nothing...
>
>  What do you think about that?
>
> Thomas.

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H