Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] performance problems backing up ocfs2 clusters

2009-03-04 08:04:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] performance problems backing up ocfs2 clusters
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 13:01:53 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:24:22 +0100, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> we're experiencing massive problems backing up an ocfs2 cluster
> filesystem mounted on SLES 10 SP2 machines located on a shared SAN
> storage). The cluster has 8 members, and we've already tried certain
> mount options (noatime et al.) in an attempt to improve performance,
> however bacula's transfer speeds drop down into the double kb / sec
> digits when it encounters directories which contain many small files
> (say about 20,000 per dir or so).

look at "Spool Attributes = yes"  (or even "Spool data" http://
www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html).

you can also try to make little test how long it takes to "tar" the same
files. something like "tar -cf /dev/null <path>" (ok i'm not an advanced
tar user ...) .

maybe ocfs2 is the bottleneck as it (maybe) has to communicate the reads
with the other nodes?

- Thomas