Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] cloning tapes for offsite storage

2009-03-03 08:42:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] cloning tapes for offsite storage
From: Thomas <thomas AT ic3s DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 14:34:00 +0100
so, last week i wrote a small perl script that uses bcopy to clone every
volume from the FULL pool, that was written within the last 3 days, to offsite
tapes.
my full runs on friday/saturday and the script starts via an admin job on sunday
after the catalog backup. took ~ 9 hours for ~ 700GB on SDLT....

the script does something like
"bcopy -v /dev/source /dev/destination -i source-tapelabel -o dest-tapelabel"

all bcopy's finished successful.
but my restore tests failed.
i replaced all appearances of "source-tapelabel" with "dest-tapelabel" in the
bootstrap file
and run a command like "bextract -b client.bsr Drive /home/restore"
i found two problems.

1.) the bextract from the bcopied tapes shows errors on domino/notes datafiles :

bextract JobId 0: -rw-r--r--   1 2110     2110    3117678592 2009-02-27
22:38:34  /stage/backup/notes/data/mail/horst.nsf
02-Mär 19:47 bextract JobId 0: Error: attribs.c:421 File size of restored file
/stage/backup/notes/data/mail/horst.nsf not correct. Original 3117678592,
restored 10722668181.
bextract JobId 0: -rw-r--r--   1 2110     2110    1298399232 2009-02-27
22:50:32  /stage/backup/notes/data/mail/heinz.nsf
02-Mär 19:55 bextract JobId 0: Error: attribs.c:421 File size of restored file
/stage/backup/notes/data/mail/heinz.nsf not correct. Original 1298399232,
restored 7057145936.

nearly 50% of the restored .nsf shows this error.
and no: the files does not change their size while the backup runs.
if i restore with bextract from the original tape and the unchanged booststrap
all files are restored without errors.
is there something special with these nsf files?
i also saw this problem with directly backuped vmware disk images (.vmdk).

2.)

the job thats saves the notes backup also saves the directories /etc and /opt.
after the restore from my bcopied tape there are no files restored with path
/etc or /opt.
only the backup/notes files.
with bextract from the original tape i have those files from /etc and /opt.

bextract from the original tape ends with
bextract: acquire.c:436-0 dir_update_vol_info. label=64 Vol=FUL102
2234 files restored.

from the bcopy'd tape:
bextract: acquire.c:436-0 dir_update_vol_info. label=64 Vol=OFBB02
100 files restored.

it looks like it is not possible to restore data
from the copied tape with only replacing
the tape labels in the bootstrap file.
is the problem caused by bcopy/bextract
or is my way of doing the cloning/restoring wrong?

Ulrich Leodolter schrieb:
> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 20:28 +0100, Thomas wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> i'm currently evaluating cloning of tapes with a two drive autochanger.
>> has someone suggestions or experience with that?
>>
>> currently i'm playing with bcopy for cloning and bextract/bscan to read the
>> data from the offsite tape....
>>
>> Best Regards
>>
>> Thomas
>>

> Hello
>
> We are running CopyDiskToTape since about 6 months, see
> http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/New_Features.html#SECTION00520000000000000000
>
> Weeky cron job runs bcopy (tape to tape) for offsite storage.
>
> This is "half production setup" :-), no major problems till now.
>
> I am using the latest  svn 2.5.x on the server side.
>
> bcopy is not very fast (because not bufferd nor multithreaded).
> LTO-4 copy runs 5 hours at 40MB/s speed.
>
> bextract/bscan is a very time consuming process, i have only
> done very basic tests.
>
> Now i think about a CopyTapeToOffsiteTape,  because i like
> to manage all from bacula and mostly automated.
> OffsiteTape pool will have long retention time (1-2 year)
> Tapes will be manually purged,  (6-12 weekly tape sets first year,
> 4 tape sets second year)
>
> Ulrich