Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] cloning tapes for offsite storage

2009-02-27 03:31:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] cloning tapes for offsite storage
From: Ulrich Leodolter <ulrich.leodolter AT obvsg DOT at>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:28:19 +0100
On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 20:28 +0100, Thomas wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> i'm currently evaluating cloning of tapes with a two drive autochanger.
> has someone suggestions or experience with that?
>
> currently i'm playing with bcopy for cloning and bextract/bscan to read the
> data from the offsite tape....
>
> Best Regards
>
> Thomas

Hello

We are running CopyDiskToTape since about 6 months, see
http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/New_Features.html#SECTION00520000000000000000

Weeky cron job runs bcopy (tape to tape) for offsite storage.

This is "half production setup" :-), no major problems till now.

I am using the latest  svn 2.5.x on the server side.

bcopy is not very fast (because not bufferd nor multithreaded).
LTO-4 copy runs 5 hours at 40MB/s speed.

bextract/bscan is a very time consuming process, i have only
done very basic tests.

Now i think about a CopyTapeToOffsiteTape,  because i like
to manage all from bacula and mostly automated.
OffsiteTape pool will have long retention time (1-2 year)
Tapes will be manually purged,  (6-12 weekly tape sets first year,
4 tape sets second year)

Ulrich