Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Tape handling with an autoloader

2009-02-24 10:26:41
Subject: [Bacula-users] Tape handling with an autoloader
From: Christopher Dick <jcdick1 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 07:23:31 -0800 (PST)
I have an LTO-2 library with 20 slots and have a question about tape handling
in Bacula.  I have been running backups for about two weeks now, and I've about
filled my tapes.  I have two free slots yet, and then I am going to have to
"check out" tapes and refill the library.  The first fulls were quite large and
got minimal compression.

In my library, the 20th slot is the mail slot, for checking in and out tapes.
My question is, does Bacula have a facility for doing this?  I put a new tape
in the mail slot, but I couldn't find any bat or bconsole command to tell
bacula to take that tape and label it according to the barcode and then move it
to an available slot.  I had to use command line mtx to actually do a full
re-inventory of the library and move the tape myself so that Bacula could say
"oh, hey, that tape in that slot isn't in my db."  At that point, I could issue
a "label barcodes".

So, in short, does bacula have an internal facility for checking in and out
tapes from the library and I am just missing it?

Thanks!

Chris