Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Incremental backups of older data

2009-02-18 16:11:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Incremental backups of older data
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:08:21 +0100
Hi,

18.02.2009 14:55, Sebastian Stark wrote:
> For special data we have a backup scheme that does not really fit
> bacula's idea of incremental backups:
>
> There is a directory, say /archive, that is empty by default. If
> something needs to be backed up by bacula, it is copied (or moved)
> into this directory. Then the backup job is started and eventually
> (see below) the data are deleted from the /archive directory.
>
> Since the data are very likely to have an older timestamp than the
> last bacula backup run, incremental backups do not work for this. So
> far we handle this by doing a full backup every time and deleting the
> data from /archive. But what we would like is to keep the data within /
> archive as long as possible.
>
> Is there any way to tell bacula it should backup all new files (new
> meaning "not already backed up") within this directory, regardless of
> the timestamp, without doing a full backup?
>
> touch(1) is not an option because the timestamps are important
> information we must not loose.

Solution one: Wait for 3.0, and / or start testing the current
development version. You want the feature called "Accurate Backup".

Solution two: Create the file list to back up by script. Let that
script have a minimal database of the files which are already backed
up. Read the file list, subtract the files in the database, print the
files to back up, save the list of files *in a temporary location*,
preferably including the current job name.

As a "Client Run after Job", have a script that *on success* of the
job copies the temporary file list to the actual database. In any
case, delete the temporary file list.

I guess a few hundred lines of code in (ba)sh, perl, python, awk or
whatever scripting language you like could do the trick...

Cheers,

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann