Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd not playing nice with time critical apps

2009-02-16 06:17:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd not playing nice with time critical apps
From: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:15:17 +0100
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:02:20 +0100, Craig Ringer
<craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au> wrote:

> Try setting the high priority job to -c1 (realtime) and the bacula fd to
> -c3 (idle) priority.

Bacula is already at -c3, I'm not supposed to touch the other app,
unfortunately. Thanks for your other suggestions, I'll forward those to
the responsible parties as well.

> I landed up having to hack the sources of the driver for my 3Ware
> Escalade 8500-8 to get decent I/O latency, since the driver queued up to
> 256 (!!) requests internally. This prevented Linux from pre-empting
> already issued I/O with higher priority new I/O requests.

As much as I would like to do this kind of thing I have more pressing
matters occupying my time :)