Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula went fubar after some weeks

2009-02-10 10:16:24
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula went fubar after some weeks
From: Olaf Zevenboom <olaf AT artefact DOT nl>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:13:35 +0100
Dear list,

Bacula : strange things happening at night

After running successfully (besides weird verify issues)  Bacula (2.4.1
on Debian Etch) has gone fubar.

We have a single slot tapedrive with 2 schedules. Each session contains
3 jobs: full backup, verify, backup catalog
There is a daily schedule (run on Monday-Thursday) (4 tapes) and a
weekly schedule run on Fridays (3 tapes). All full backup using a single
tape per day/session.

A full cycle would consist of:
daily cycle (4 days/tapes)
weektape #1
daily cycle (recycling the 4 tapes)
weektape #2
daily cycle (recycling the 4 tapes)
weektape #3
And rerun the full cycle (recycling the 3 weektapes too)

And at that point things did go horribly wrong:
Bacula never created (auto label) weektape #3 but instead:
- volume "Bacula_Weekly-WeekTape-1" was set to recycle
- Bacula wanted to write to that tape and not the blank tape (never
used) in the drive (was meant to become "Bacula_Weekly-WeekTape-3")
This sounded strange to me as the retention time was 19 days and it was
only 14 days after the volume Bacula requested was written to.
Error report: Please mount Volume "Bacula_Weekly-WeekTape-1" or label a
new one

As it was a very inconvenient moment for me at that time and I did not
see a simple solution I deciced to kill all three running jobs.
At this point I was under the impression that I had to look into the
issue but that the other schedule would keep running. I was wrong.

At Monday night I came across the following situation:
- Three jobs started as scheduled
- error report: waiting. Cannot find any appendable volumes. Please use
the "label"  command to create a new Volume
The correct (Monday) tape was inserted and mounted but for some reason
the volume was not re-used although it this schedule cycle had already
had been run 3 times successfully!
Taking a closer look revealed: (running status all in bconsole)
- according to the scheduling overview the jobs were executed to use the
proper volumes
- according to the running job it was looking for a volume without a name
- the volume in use was the volume "Bacula_Weekly-WeekTape-3". How
strange! I canceled all jobs for the weekly (Friday) schedule on Sunday
as that volume was never created and Bacula wanted to use volume
"Bacula_Weekly-WeekTape-1" instead (see above).
After some manual pruning and updating volumes suddenly Bacula wanted
volume/tape Tuesday. At this time it was way beyond 00.00 so it actually
was Tuesday but the jobs were executed to use volume/tape Monday.
For some reason (it ran towards 03.00 am) I wanted some sleep and I
decided to kill the scheduled jobs. After(!) I did this for some reason
the verify job ran (although canceled) and reported many new file (my
verify issue reported earlier).

Either I am doing something terribly wrong or I ran into a serious bug I
suppose. The in use volume looked a bit like a ghost job which I (and
others as I saw on this list) have seen before. No idea how to get rid
of these things besides restarting the director. Any suggestions on that
subject please?

If I am doing something wrong, can it be related to the use of a counter
(which is not very well documented in the docs)? What am I doing wrong?

I am quite stuck here. Please help

Olaf

Pool {
  Name = Daily
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 6 days
  Maximum Volume Jobs = 2
  Maximum Volumes = 4
  Label Format = "Bacula_${Pool}-${WEEKDAGEN[${WeekDay}]}-Tape"
}

Pool {
  Name = Weekly
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  #Volume Retention = 26 days
  Volume Retention = 19 days
  Maximum Volume Jobs = 2
  Maximum Volumes = 3
  Label Format = "Bacula_${Pool}-WeekTape-${WeeknummerTeller+}"
}

Counter {
  #
http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION0014190