Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Overwriting previous fulls and other miscellaneous tweaks

2009-02-06 20:03:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Overwriting previous fulls and other miscellaneous tweaks
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Christopher Dick <jcdick1 AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 20:01:46 -0500
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Christopher Dick <jcdick1 AT yahoo DOT com>
wrote:
> Now that I have my tape autochanger and such working as desired, though it
> may take a little tweaking, I am overall pretty stoked about getting this
> working.  Now to start getting into the gritty details of tweaking for my
> environment and limited capacities.
>
> My first question is in regard to the monthly fulls.  I have an issue with
> tape population in my library.  I have only 20 slots for LTO-2 tapes, and my
> first full backup of my primary server has already used six of those.  The
> data doesn't compress very well.  Is there a way to inform Bacula to
> overwrite only that system's previous full when it goes to do a new one?  We
> have TSM at my place of employment, and it does the whole "one time full,
> incremental forever" thing, which would reduce dramatically the number of
> tapes required.  However, I am pretty limited on my available resources as
> far as tapes are concerned, and so I don't have the ability to maintain a
> stack of 60 unused tapes waiting to check out full ones and refill with
> empties.  Two months will fill all my available tapes.  I am basically
> needing to do a poor man's "de-dupe", really, so that there is only one copy
> of a server's data in the library at any given time, even three, four or five
>  years from now.  Is that possible?
>
> Also, I am using spooling to maximize performance on the drives.  I have the
> max bytes set to about 90% of my spool disks' capacity.  However, I didn't
> see anywhere if there was a low bytes setting, so that if the pool fills, it
> will spool off to tape all the way down to the minimum instead of just until
> the spool says "I'm not at my max capacity anymore."  Or does it do that and
> I am just not setting the max size right and have it a decimal place too
> small?
>
> Any help is appreciated.  And this Bacula thing is really a god-send.

I am glad you said any. Although I try to help most users I am way too
busy with the (paying) day job. So I can not spend more than a minute
or 2 per reply...

Anyways bacula prevents overwriting of volumes.

You want to look at:
http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

for ways to have bacula recycle your data based on the policies you want.

John