Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with restore

2009-02-04 13:25:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with restore
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Stephen Maher <stephen.maher AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 19:23:20 +0100
Hello,

You are running a pretty old version of Bacula, and it appears you have used
encryption on Win32 (not specified). If I remember right, the first releases
with encryption had a problem with encryption signatures failing on Win32
because Microsoft does not restore files bit for bit when doing
BackupWrite().  I fixed the code to kludge this a long time ago.

Also it seems to me that this is an Error, which is annoying from the stand
point that a lot of messages print, but an Error is not fatal to the restore
job, so in fact, your data should be correctly restored except for the
undesired messages.   If your restore job is in fact getting canceled (I hope
not), you will need to modify the code and rebuild the FD.  Alternatively
updating to a later FD in the 2.0.x series (possibly even in the 2.2 series)
should eliminate the problem.  By reading the technotes, you could probably
find in which version the problem was fixed.  If I remember right, the data
on the Volume is correct and the only changes involved exactly how the
signature is created and compared.

The encryption signature is separate from the MD5 signatures and the check
cannot be disabled during restore without modifying the code, which should
not really be necessary as I explained above.

Best regards,

Kern