Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Broken LTO tapes?

2009-02-01 05:18:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Broken LTO tapes?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Jesper Krogh" <jesper AT krogh DOT cc>, "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 21:15:34 +1100
> Hi list
>
> This is not really a bacula question.. but somehow really related.
>
> How common is it to have a "broken" LTO-tape? I've (in like 3-4 years
> working with LTO) never seen this, but it looks like a borken tape.

We do field service repairs for HP hardware and I have seen one or two
cases where the tape has somehow become entangled in the internal drive
mechanism and has broken.

Reading your email a bit more maybe your problem is just that the tape
can't be read or written to anymore. If it's a HP tape drive, use the HP
Library & Tape Tools which is freely downloaded from HP and can run all
sorts of tests on the media and the drive. If LT&T says the drive is
failed then it is probably right.

LTO drives (HP ones at least, I assume they all do) actually do a verify
of the data they have just written and re-write any data that fails to
read. This happens automatically as (I assume) that the read head is
positioned so it can read the data that just been written. This allows
the drive to keep some stats internally about how well things are going.
If it is having to rewrite data a lot then you can assume that something
is not right.

James